Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Diagnostic Mammogram: What It's Like


Five--maybe ten--times, I reminded myself, "No deodorant."  I'm going for my mammogram today.

While this is a scheduled follow-up, I'm no longer Routine Screening, but Bilateral Diagnostic.  And since I scheduled it, I've had a sense that something is wrong.  I'm hoping that it's my sense that's wrong!

I pray for peace and for accurate results.  Downstairs, I choose decaf coffee, because I don't need anything else to make me jumpy.  I check my email and dash off a message to ask my mom to pray.

We go through homeschool lessons, then I distract myself by starting a double batch of beef stew.  Finally it's time to go.  I don't want to go, but I want to get it over with.

'78. breast cancer screening http://goo.gl/5i0pz' photo (c) 2009, Tips Times - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/At the radiology office, I just finish filling out the paperwork when Flo, the tech who will be taking my films, comes to get me.  I change into the cute pink gown and wait until Flo returns.

She takes the usual set of films, then lets me go back to the waiting room while the radiologist looks at the images.

Flo comes back and explains that the radiologist wants more magnified images.  She takes those, then I wait.  We repeat this cycle one more time before she says that the radiologist wants an ultrasound.  It'll be twenty to thirty minutes before they can squeeze me into the schedule.

All of this waiting gives me a lot of time to pray, which is far better than worrying.

The ultrasound tech comes for me, and except for the copious amount of gel, the scan is easy.  I sit up to wait for her to come back with the radiologist.

Finally I see the radiologist.  She says that everything is okay, but she wants to recheck in six months instead of twelve.  She also raises the possibility of an MRI.  Sounds like a conditional okay to me.

For now, though, we're okay, and thank the Lord for that!


  1. so sorry for the worry... I will be praying for peace for you...
    glad it is okay though...
    sending you a virtual hug

  2. Wow - it sounds stressful - I am so glad nothing was found - will pray.

  3. This hapened to me too. I got an ultrasound after. I am praying yours is nothing to worry about. With mine, it was done right after the mammogram too so I didnt even have time to think about it.


I love to hear what you're thinking, so thank you for leaving a comment!

Spammers are unwelcome here, and spam comments will be deleted.